Elizabeth Bell’s reputation rests on 20 years of learning, practice and study. Since 1999 she has been sharing her learning with private students, corporate clients and at conferences and festivals. Yoga is the love of her life.
In 2003 she received the award of Yoga Siromani ‘for training and meritorious service rendered in the field of the Propagation of Yoga’. She also holds a Masters of Visual Art and this thread of art infuses her yoga teaching with an unquantifiable zest.
Students have said that her classes and workshops ‘are whole, and full and beautiful, kind of like artworks in themselves’. At the same time, they are challenging and rigorous.
No one is left to feel inadequate or excluded because of age, experience or level of fitness. To quote another of her students, Margaret, ‘Whether you are old, young, stiff, flexible, new to yoga or an old hand, Elizabeth adapts to suit everyone – not an easy task when there is no advance knowledge of who will turn up to class.’ Elizabeth promotes wellbeing and self-acceptance, giving everyone a sense of personal achievement.
Her primary aim is to cultivate mindfulness, reduce stress, increase health and generate a sense of wellbeing and purpose in her students. Her ultimate goal is to liberate the student from the teacher – to help students find their intrinsic motivation and place yoga at the centre of their lives. Thus, she is constantly reassuring both herself and the student that, ‘It (yoga, life, love, work, self, family, what you will ...) is only a series of attempts’.
Recognising the fundamental frailty of the human condition as a constant factor in life, she is kind, present, reassuring and attentive in her delivery.
And then there is the music. Having a direct path to the heart, music is an essential ingredient in each of Elizabeth’s classes. She enjoys and uses an elegant range of Indian classical music to engage, inspire and focus the mind, as well as a precise selection from the Western music repertoire. Heavenly.
Elizabeth is available for workshops, conferences, festivals and new students on a private one-to-one basis.
Qualifications, Yogic study and inspiring teachers:
- Yogasutras of Patanjali with A.G. and Indra Mohan (2012 – ongoing)
- Physical Activity Australia Certificate III (2001 – ongoing)
- Senior First Aid, CPR (2001 – ongoing)
- Faculty member at the Dance of Life - Yoga and Healing, Fitzroy (1997 - ongoing)
- Menofitness trainer 2012
- Diane Long, Vanda Scaravelli lineage, Rome (2006)
- Residency at Sivananda ashram, Kerala (2003 – 2004)
- Yoga Siromani, certified Yoga Teacher, Sivananda Yoga Vedanta, Kerala, India (2003)
- Nad Yoga certificate, Bihar School of Yoga (2000)
- Certificate IV workplace training and assessment (2002)
- Master of Visual Art, Sydney College of the Arts, the University of Sydney (1996)
- Bachelor of Visual Art, Sydney College of the Arts (1984)
- Diploma of Photography, RMIT (1979)
- Inspiring teachers: Eugenie Knox, Maggie Nimmo and David Tolley